Hair loss is a big headache for many people especially women. It is caused by environmental pollution, lifestyle change and certain health conditions.
However, with proper hair management you can minimise the amount of loss. One simple remedy to this nagging problem is the onion treatment. Due to the pungent smell, many people would rather not consider the use of onions in a treatment regimen.
- Onions are a rich source of sulphur and are effective when it comes to the prevention of loss of hair.
- The sulphur found in onions minimises inflammation of the skin and increases blood circulation.
- Onions contains sulphur, which is important in the development of collagen, a protein that boosts hair growth.
- Correct sulphur levels in the blood stimulate hair growth and minimise hair loss.
- Juice from the onion will make hair strong, prevent fungal infection on the scalp and unblock pores on the hair follicles.
This is how to do it:
- Peel, chop and blend an onion.
- Put the blended pulp in a strainer. Using a spoon press the pulp to extract the juice.
- Apply the onion paste and leave on the scalp for 40 minutes to dry and them rinse.
- Shampoo the hair and style as desired. Initially, treat daily then gradually reduce to weekly.
- If you have issues with the onion smell, you can add 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey to the paste.
- Massage the mixture onto your entire scalp, cover hair with shower cap overnight or leave on for at least 30 minutes.
- Rinse and shampoo before styling the hair as desired.
- You can also add coconut oil and a glass of beer to the paste.
- Apply to the hair and leave for 30 minutes before rinsing. Shampoo the hair and thereafter style.
- Onions soaked in a glass of rum makes a wonderful concoction for the hair.
Leave overnight to ensue it does a good job on the hair. Being a natural ingredient the onion has not side effects.
- Instead of blending the onion, you can grate it and then extract the juice. For squeezing, you can use cheesecloth instead of a strainer. You can also use a juicer.
- To avoid tearing while cutting the onion, chill it in the freezer for about 15 minutes and then chop it.
- If you want to add a fragrant essential oil, use rosemary, lavender, peppermint or other similar oils that promote hair growth.
- You can also add some lemon juice or rose water to mask the onion smell.