I like most people would like to be in better shape. A better shape, that is, than round. There are a lot of factors that play into how a person looks or how fit they are. One factor is exercise. Another one is diet.
You’ve heard all of this before, and while it’s true that you need to have an overall fitness plan and nutritional goals, there are things that you can do now to make those goals a little bit easier to attain.
Certainly nothing will replace a sound diet and exercise routine. There is no magic formula that you can take that will suddenly turn you into a supermodel, but I hope you can benefit from the tips and tricks that I’m about to share.
The Key to Your Metabolism
The key to a fitter, healthier you lies in your metabolism and how clean your internal body is. Metabolism is a biochemical process that governs how quickly you turn calories into energy.
You use energy and burn fat when you are doing physical activity and digesting food, but you also continue to burn fat even while you are at rest. The rate at which you burn fat when you are resting is called your basal metabolic rate (BMR) . There are actually ways to speed it up so that you can burn fat faster even when you’re not doing much.
Every coin has two sides, and the flipside of speeding up your metabolism is slowing it down. You might be doing things that slow down your metabolism and allow your body to store excess fat without even realizing it. Some of the things that slow your metabolism down are:
- Eating Poorly – Quit the sodas and snack cakes! Treats are fine; just make them organic, healthy, natural foods. Avoid high processed fat foods.
- Not Enough Sleep – If your body is exhausted then the efficiency with which it burns calories goes down the toilet. A well rested body is more efficient.
- Being Stressed Out – Stress causes high levels of a hormone called cortisol in your body, which leads to belly fat . Relax and let go…of the extra pounds!
- Dieting – Believe it or not, strict dieting can lead to lower metabolism. Avoid fad diets and super low calorie diets. Low calorie diets cause your body to switch to starvation mode, your metabolism slows down to keep you from burning too many calories, then when you eat again your body stores the calories as fat. Fad diets may work in the short term, but the true path to a healthier you is to improve your overall eating habits over the long term.
- A Toxic Body – The accumulation of toxins in the body slows down the metabolism because the body has to work extra hard to eliminate these toxins on a daily basis. I suggest performing a colon cleanse, liver gallbladder cleanse or harmful organism cleanse to rev up your metabolism in a natural way.
There are factors that affect your metabolism that are beyond even your control. Metabolism naturally slows down as you age, especially in women.
Some people are the victims of an under-active thyroid, adrenal burnout or unfortunate family genetics that lead to weight gain, but there are still ways to speed up your metabolism, even if you have a horrible diet and are genetically predisposed to carrying more weight than you would like.
What’s the best way to speed up your metabolism? You guessed it-exercise!
Exercise Tips to Speed Up Your Metabolism
It doesn’t matter whether you cycle, swim, walk or jog, but do something to get yourself moving. A regular exercise routine is best, but remember to make slight changes to it once in awhile so your body doesn’t reach a plateau and stop improving. Ten minutes out of your busy day may not seem like a lot when you’re first starting out, but if you exercise for 10 minutes, six days this week, that’s an hour more workout that you did last week! As you and your family get used to your routine it will become easier and easier to increase 10 minutes to 12, 15 and 20 minutes per day. I recommend re-bounding. It is easy, safe and very effective.
Bulk up and Tone up!
If you work on building up some lean muscle mass with weight training then you are guaranteed to burn more calories than just by doing cardio alone. Why? Because muscle burns calories for you even when you’re at rest-it raises your BMR to help you burn fat!
When you do interval training, for example if you jog for 12 minutes total, but every 2 minutes you increase your speed to a hard run for 1 minute, your body is working a lot harder, so you get a more intense workout.
Stand up from your desk and walk around the office, go up and down the stairs a few times, park farther away or play with the dog. If you use these little bursts of energy throughout the day then your metabolism will stay revved up and you’ll keep burning more calories.
Foods That Speed Up Your Metabolism
I’ve given you some tips and tricks to help boost your metabolism without even mentioning the easiest of all things you can do-eat!
When you wake up in the morning your body is in starvation mode because you’ve been fasting, but when you eat breakfast you boost your metabolism so that you start burning calories earlier, thereby burning more total calories through the day. What you eat and how often has a large impact on your metabolic rate.
Below are some dietary, no wait, lifestyle habits to boost your metabolism. You can also view my suggested diet plan here.
- Start early with a smart breakfast that includes only fresh fruit.
- Eat often because that will keep your metabolism pumping all day long, and when you eat many small meals through the day you tend to eat less at one time, which puts less burden on your digestive system and lets it work more efficiently.
- Eat spicy foods, if they’re hot enough they’ll kick your metabolism into high gear and you’ll break a sweat!
- Snack smart on lean protein like nuts, seeds or hemp milk. Protein is high in amino acids so it takes more work for your body to break down, which means you burn more calories while you’re digesting it.
- Chew Your Food 25x before swallowing. This will save your bodys energy stores and speed up your metabolism.
- Eat metabolism boosting foods. Some “negative calorie” foods are listed below.
|Metabolism Boosting Foods:|
Other Recommended Tips:
- Drink water all day long. It’s hard to get too much.
- Cleanse your body! I recommend doing this first!! Learn about different cleansing methods you could benefit from.
- Some weightloss supplements will provide you with the benefits of proven fat fighting and appetite suppressing ingredients. These types of supplements can help assist your weightloss, but should not be the only method.