Are your strapped for time but would like to throw down a mean hot meal? Chicken pilau is a great choice and is a lot easier to make than you think. Here is how I make my version of chicken pilau – very satisfying and YUMMY!
You will need:
- 1 Chicken (give 8-9 pieces) 1.5 kgs
- 3 cups Rice
- 3 Onions
- 2-3 Tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp Garlic
- Pilau Masala or whole spices (cloves, cardamom, cinnamon sticks, pepper & cumin seeds)
What you need to do:
- Wash the rice and leave it to soak in cold water for 20 minutes.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces (or you could use chicken thighs or breast).
- I prefer to cook my chicken pieces in a pressure cooker for 4-5 minutes – drain out the chicken and reserve the broth.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and cook onions and garlic until golden brown.
- Add tomatoes (I puree mine in a blender).
- Add the ground pilau masala and salt.
- Add chicken pieces.
- Add the pre-soaked rice.
- Add the chicken broth and top up with water if broth is not enough. (TIP: I use 1 and quarter cups of water/broth to 1 cup of rice).
- Leave to cook until most of the water has diminished.
- Move to the oven (pre-heated) for 10-15 minutes to oven cook.
- You should have a pretty decent pilau.
Enjoy with kachumbari! OR serve with a green salad, yogurt and pickle.
TIP: If using whole spices…. heat a pan and roast them for a few minutes the aroma!
This recipe makes for 4-5 generous servings….. with enough for a packed lunch. My household is happy….. from my heart to yours.