I have finally re-ignited my love for downtown shopping (believe it). I discovered a small bakers paradise shop tucked in a corner on Biashara Street a couple of months ago. My visit today was to buy chocolate cream (Non-Diary) and work out a recipe for one of my skin care products (work-in-progress). I stumbled upon Gelatin and I must confess Jello came to mind and yes “Strawberry Gelatin & Pistachio Cakes” .
It got me thinking!
Gelatin is a natural product extracted from animal skin and bone and it contains collagen like characteristics that strengthen skin elasticity as well as protein to strengthen hair and nails.
Check out these beauty recipes containing this wonder ingredient:
1. Hair Mask:
Improve the strength of your hair from split ends and breakage with a gelatin hair mask
- Blend 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
- Massage the gel like mixture through shampooed hair, leave it on for 5 minutes then rinse.
2. Strengthening Nail Soak:
- 1/2 packet of plain gelatin in a mixing bowl and pour in 1/2 cup of boiling water over the gelatin. Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Soak your nails for 10 minutes and rinse.
Any unused mixture can be stored in a resealable container and it will keep in the fridge for about 2 months. When your nails need pampering warm the mixture in the microwave for a few seconds (it melts quickly) and its ready to use.
3. Face Mask:
- Add 1/4 cup of powdered gelatin to 1/2 cup of hot water. stir thoroughly to this liquid add 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Apply mixture to face with cotton wool. After 15 minutes rinse off with warm water.
4. Addition to shampoo:
- To increase the protein content of shampoo and strengthening hair.
- Gelatin is a great way to thicken hair.
- Gives hair volume and will add texture to otherwise thin hair.
There you have it gelatin is not only for Jello Fabulous. Think Skin and Beauty Care.
Sharing is caring!