Do you want to cook healthier meals but are stressed by the limited shelf life of fresh foods and would also like to save on trips to the supermarket, these tricks to make your groceries last longer are for you.
1. Freeze green onions in a plastic bottle.
Once you chop the green onions makes sure they are completely dry before storing them in the bottle or they will get freezer burn.
2. Use a vinegar solution to make your berries last longer.
Make a mixture of one part white distilled vinegar (or apple cider) and ten parts water. Swirl the berries around in the mixture, drain, rinse, and put them in the fridge. Raspberries will last a week or more, and strawberries go almost two weeks without getting moldy and soft. No vinegar taste is left on the berries as the solution is diluted enough.
3. Store potatoes with apples to keep them from sprouting.
4. A dab of butter to the cut side of cheese will keep it from drying out.
5. Smartest spots to place items in the fridge.
6. Wrap the crown of a bunch of bananas with cling film.
They will keep for 3-5 days longer than usual.
7. Keep ginger in the freezer.
It grates much more easily, and the peel grates up so fine that you don’t actually need to peel it. Plus it keeps way longer.
8. Keep mushrooms in a paper bag, not a plastic bag.
11. Onions stored in stockings will last as long as 8 months.
Sharing is CARING!